- This belief is not accepted even by the scientific evolutionary community, 1 even though references to it may occasionally show up in popular media.
- These structures are not gills or slits, they are simply folds in the skin. 2
- The drawings by Ernst Haeckel claiming to prove his theory were shown to be fraudulent.
Evolutionist: Although these structures are not technically gill slits, they still demonstrate evolution since vertebrate embryos share this structure. This is still evidence for common descent. 3
Response: This is really a change of subject. The gill slits argument remains a deceptive and fraudulent argument.
In any case, similarities between organisms and the hierarchy of organisms are not evidence for evolution. Rather, they are evidence of a common designer. All vertebrates also have a backbone, blood, DNA, and many other similarities; but we do not believe these demonstrate evolution. A good designer reuses design, and God has done the same thing.
Site Under Construction
This site is still under construction. It needs more references, citations, and debate arguments. If you would like to help, please view the community page.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharyngeal_slit, accessed 2016 March ↩
- http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2007/03/14/fishy-gill-slits ↩
- http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB704.html, accessed 2016 March ↩